HOME > Precinct Guide > 2-Taiko-Bashi Bridge 太鼓橋

2-Taiko-Bashi Bridge 太鼓橋

The original bridge at the entrance to the shrine precinct was wooden and red in colour, completed on May 15th, 1182. At that time, it was called the red bridge. It was thought that the bridge connected the world of people on earth and the world of the kami. When the Kamakura Shogun visited the shrine, he would walk from this point.

The wooden bridge was replaced with a stone bridge in 1697, and it was called the Taiko (drum) bridge, since its shape is similar to that of a Japanese large drum. However, that bridge was destroyed in the Great Kanto Earthquake of September 1st, 1923, and rebuilt in 1927. The two red lacquered bridges to either side of the stone bridge were restored in 1990.

 

← 1-Dankazura 段葛 ← The Map 3-Genpei-ike Pond 源平池 →

 

Copyright (C) The Tsurugaoka Hachimangu All Rights Reserved.